The New Inn
Unlike the Green Man and Flying Horse, the New Inn, as its name suggests, was not a particularly old establishment. It is not noted in the register of alehouse licences of 1822 to 1828 but is noted in an 1839 directory. It was owned by Ampthill brewers John and Joseph Morris and remained in this firm's ownership until the company, then called Morris & Company (Ampthill) Limited was sold to Luton brewers J.W.Green Limited in 1927. Green in its turn merged with Flowers Breweries in 1954 and adopted the latter company's name. The New Inn closed in 1959 and is now a private house called Innswood.
In 1927 the public house was valued for rates under the 1925 Rating Valuation Act, the valuer found a brick and slate detached premises which were "fairly modern" with a "good draw-up"; they consisted of a taproom ("fair"), private bar ("small"), kitchen and parlour ("good") downstairs with four bedrooms above as well as an underground cellar ("down nine steps"). Outside were two earth closets, washhouse, open coalshed, open woodshed ("gone"), urinal, two henhouses ("gone"). As for trade "she (presumably Frank Sheppard's wife) says 1 brl now (Oct 1927) but might do 2 brls in summer" - the valuer estimated 1½ to two barrels of beer per week along with ten dozen bottles and half a gallon of spirits as well as the "occasional bottle of whisky" gross takings were reckoned to be £14-15 per week with 30/- to £2 on week nights and £3 on Saturdays and Sundays "all local trade". Sheppard also occupied a small adjoining farm with a lorry garage ("v.good"), two bay open cart hovel, stable for five horses, three good pigsties a three bay open shed used for straw, a thatched barn used for chaff and roots with a loft over, a two bay open shed used for straw, an old henhouse and a hut used as a mealhouse and store as well as 3.818 acres in two fields.
List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:
1839-1846: James Horn;1851-1869: John Sharp;1876-1882: George Sharp;1882-1889: John Sinfield;1889-1914: Joseph Bolus;1914-1943: Frank Sheppard;1943: Effie Maud Sheppard;1943-1959: Arthur Henry Wildman;1959: Richard James GoochPublic house closed 22 Oct 1959
(Information taken directly from Bedfordshire Community Archives)